The Chapel at Clover Hill Park Cemetery opened in 1921 and for nearly 100 years, it has a been a sacred space for comfort, solace, and reflection for all who visit.
Detroit architect George V. Pottle designed the Chapel, and his work is reflected in early cinema theater and home design which include the East Side and the Linwood Theaters.
In 2008, the Davidson/Hermelin Chapel was named and dedicated in honor of William Davidson (z’l) and David B. Hermelin (z’l) for their many years of commitment to both Clover Hill Park Cemetery and Congregation Shaarey Zedek.
William Davidson (Z’L) served on the Clover Hill Park Cemetery Board of Trustees and as Chairman for many years. He was also a past-president of Congregation Shaarey Zedek.
Mr. Davidson was a Michigan industrialist and the Chairman, president, and CEO of Guardian Industries Corporation. He was the majority owner of the Detroit Pistons Basketball team, and in 2008, he was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
Mr. Davidson was a community philanthropist with strong ties to educational, health and cultural causes both locally and in Israel. Mr. Davidson passed away on March 13, 2009, at the age of 86.
David B. Hermelin
David B. Hermelin (z’l) served on the Clover Hill Park Cemetery Board of Trustees and served as president of Congregation Shaarey Zedek.
Mr. Hermelin was a renowned local, national, and international leader, philanthropist, and real estate developer. His dedication to many charitable causes was legendary and his commitment to the Detroit Jewish Community, worldwide organizations, and Israel was astounding. From 1997-2000, he served as the U.S. Ambassador to Norway.
Mr. Hermelin was known and remembered for his energy, sense of humor, optimism, and devotion to family, Judaism, and his fellow man. Mr. Hermelin passed away on November 22, 2000, at the age of 63.